Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fearless with Complete Trust

Ethan will be 15 months old tomorrow. He is a busy fellow moving and exploring from the time he wakes to the time he goes to bed. He is completely fearless. And he has complete trust in us as his parents. Yesterday I was sitting on the floor in his bedroom, which also doubles as our guest room and houses a twin bed. Ethan was behind me crawling around on the twin bed and looking out the window. Apparently deciding he'd rather be down on the floor he dove off the bed headfirst over my shoulder. And when I say he dove, I mean he DOVE, like he was diving into a swimming pool. My back was to him so I didn't see it coming, but thankfully managed to catch him halfway to the floor. I understand why a mothers hair may turn grey early. Was he worried I wouldn't catch him? Nope! He was laughing and thought it was great fun, and given the chance I bet he'd do it again.

I find myself wishing I was completely fearless. I wish I had complete trust. If not in earthly things then at least when about my Father's business. But I lost that along the way. Ethan challenges me every day to think about my relationship with my heavenly Father and I can only pray I'll be a better Child as I learn from my own.

He loves to climb up on to the rocking chair...and then onto the bed.
Climbing again...I find him in all sorts of interesting places!
Look mom! I'm up high!

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh he's so cute Cheryl!

Cambria used to have this kind of trust. When she was about the same age she would run across the deck at grandma's swimming pool and with a huge smile jump into our arms in the pool, knowing she would be caught. After a while it looked like she was a little too comfortable and I realized this could be pretty dangerous if there were ever a time when no one was there to catch her. So I started catching her a little lower in the water and then even lower! She learned its not all fun and games. And even though we never let her get hurt or anything, she learned that this "jumping fun" might require a bit of caution...

Whoa. That was long! Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying him and I LOVE the analogy of how our relationship could be with our Father :)

TJ & Cheryl said...

:) I can just picture the joy of her jumps! Thanks!

Cheryl said...

Haha, they're like little mountain goats, aren't they? :) Have fun with this one, he sounds like he keeps you on your toes!

TJ & Cheryl said...

Yes! And yesterday he figured out hot to climb up onto the couch unaided...he's been too short until this point. I'm having a blast...had no idea having a child could be so much fun!

CornyCornKorens said...

I love, and can relate to, the analogy too.

Kara Chupp said...

These photos are so fun (and scary).
We should NEVER let Lydi and Ethan play together.
Because between the two of them we'd pretty much be set on an ER visit.